Monday, May 2, 2011

April Sales Figures

So, all the indies post their sales numbers each month. Why should I be any different?

For April I didn't have any expectations other than to beat March's total of 157. There's no magic formula to increase sales. How can I force someone to buy my book? I can't, so I just do my best and hope the word spreads.

In April I decided to reduce Anathema's price to 99 cents. Sure, there was a part of me that hoped I'd magically start selling thousands of copies a day. Who doesn't want to buy something for 99 cents? I even started this crazy little Twitter campaign where I made posts like this:

#99cents won't erase stretch marks, but it will buy Anathema, a #YA #fantasy! http://amzn.to/etHCN2 #kindle #nook #ebook

I honestly don't know if those posts did anything other than make my friends giggle. Those tweets were obnoxious at times, I admit, but that's part of my personality.

Okay, I'll get to my totals:

Feb: 82
March: 157
April: 162
Total: 401

Some people have suggested maybe I shouldn't share my sales since they aren't astronomical. You know what? Last year all I heard was, "No" from agents. Well, this year I've heard, "YES!" from over 400 people.

I think that's awesome and I'll take it! ;)

Peace out!

Megg

16 comments:

  1. Numbers you can be proud of. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Megg!!! No one really breaks out on their first in a series. You're sales will grow exponentially as more books in the Cloud Prophet series come out. :) Keep up the hard work, it's such a thankless a daily job. How is Book 2 coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrea & Jen & Elizabeth! :D

    I'm editing Oubliette now and it will debut in late June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this entry from Michelle Muto's tweet. This book sounds great. The first chapter already impresses me. I just bought a copy for my nook and will add it to my review pile! The cover is FANTASTIC, too! Very nice! Hopefully the red image at the top will be book two....? :)

    You have great numbers already for three months of figures! I know some self-pubs who would kill for your numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for stopping by! :D

    If you still want bookmarks, DM me your address. I can send you some! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yay, thank you! I totally will <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Megg! What you're doing takes courage so don't let the naysayers get you down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rocks Megg!!! Those numbers are far more than mine are! I too would like to find a way to increase..I'm always trying to help promote and I'm thrilled you have taken the power away from the people who say NO!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kristine!!! :D

    Thanks Thomas - I haven't had a chance to read your book yet, but it's on my Nook! ;) It'll happen, we just need to keep our fingers crossed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo-hoo!! Congrats Megg! You are rocking it! And the number are going up, not down baby!!!!


    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Every month is better than the one before, so you're clearing doing something right! Like others said, it takes courage to do what you're doing, and just because the numbers aren't astronomical doesn't make it less of an accomplishment - just a starting point. Hearing "yes" from 400 people who voted with their wallets trumps all the agents who passed on taking a portion of your sales!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo Congrats Megg! That's awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was one of the 401!

    I will really be looking out for your next book. You have talent and i am pretty sure your writing will just get better and better.

    Good luck...

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are great stats! It's almost 400 more than the number of folks who've read my novels!

    ReplyDelete