Monday, March 14, 2011

Contest Winner & My Sales - You Might Be Surprised....

First, I want to thank everyone who entered the contest, everyone who helped spread the word about Anathema, and everyone who purchased a copy. You've all helped in making my dreams come true.

Now let's choose our winner! Two of my entrants tied for the closest guess to the number of books I sold from February 10th through March 11th. To keep things fair, my spastic miniature schnauzer, Ace, will choose the winner!



CONGRATS ERIN, our Grand Prize Winner - Kindle or Nook or $150 gift card & a free copy of Anathema!

1st Runner-Up, Terah wins $25 gift card and a free copy of Anathema

2nd Runner-Up, Tony wins a DarkSide prize pack!


Wait! I announced the winners - but NOT the winning number. Yeah, this is where things get interesting.

If you've been following me on Facebook, you know I made the Barnes & Noble Teen ebook bestseller list. I cracked the top 100:

See my book at #98, just above Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver at #99? This was March 8th.
And here I am at #96, just above Lauren Kate's Fallen on March 11th
March 12th, #93.










You must be thinking ... OMG, Megg has sold hundreds, even thousands of books in her first month to hit that list!

You're wrong. Here are my totals:

February 10th - 28th: 62 ebooks; 20 paperbacks
March 1st - 11th: 55 ebooks; 15 paperbacks
Grand total: 152

90 of those ebooks were sold through Barnes& Noble. 90. I sold 90 and hit the bestseller list.

I have no idea how they calculate placement on the list. My colleague at DarkSide Publishing, Karly Kirkpatrick, has sold hundreds more than me since she debuted in November. She's on the list, for sure, but she hasn't cracked the top 100. So why have I?

The consensus is that it has something to do with how quickly my books sold and that I had a few days with pretty high numbers of sales.

This also tells me the teen ebook market is WIDE OPEN. If I can achieve this on my first book in a month, imagine what you can do!

Am I disappointed with my sales? Hell NO! I'm thrilled someone other than my mom bought my book. I'm thrilled people are enjoying Anathema. I'm thrilled strangers have found it and embraced it. Isn't that what every writer wants? And let's remember, this is only the beginning. I have the two other books in my Cloud Prophet trilogy dropping this year. In addition to that I have multiple completed novels begging me for final edits so they too can see the light of day. People who've read my upcoming books have remarked that my writing is better, the plots are tighter, and the issues I deal with go much deeper. And then there's my contemporary YA novel about a ninja-fighting teenage girl. But that's a story for another post....

Now, do me a HUGE favor and head over to G.P. Ching's blog to read the first chapter of her novel The Soulkeepers. I promise, you'll be begging for more!!!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winners, and congrats to you on your sales...can't wait to read Anathema!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Erin on winning! Your video turned out great, Megg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jamie! And your book shipped this morning. :)

    Thanks G.P.! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are impressive numbers! It gives the rest of us hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That is totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks J! I am happy with the numbers, but I think people expected them to be much higher since I hit the top 100. But hey, I'm happy that anyone bought it. :)

    Thanks Megan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! And to think, I knew you (and you even talked to me) before you were famous...sigh...:)

    Very excited for you, now I must get back to reading - I'm very slow these days...

    Jamie (Terah's friend, and unlike the above one, I'm a girl...lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Megg!

    I think this is fabulous for the first month. You're a snowball on a hill :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are really awesome numbers! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great start! I hope your numbers keep rising. Congrats to the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Props. If the teen YA market is as "wide open" as you say --- and it certainly looks that way --- then you and your work should have "room to run"!!

    ReplyDelete